It was taken last year on Christmas Eve and given the three teeny tiny babes in the middle, you can tell it was a very special Christmas. But this photo sums up a lot about families and holidays and what together-time looks like:
- Jacob (bottom left) looks completely freaked out. A sort of “help me” expression appears etched on his face
- Courtney (top left) looks like she is allergic to our dad. My dad is amazing (like so many of yours as well) and I’m interested to know why she’s pulling away, or giving him a giant bear hug simply because they are so close together
- Also, where is her husband? I think he’s the one taking this shot?
- My mom is nowhere to be found. Probably in the bathroom, I’m thinking
- Matt (green checked shirt) is hiding some friendly fire behind that Christmas smile. Something along the lines of I’m a brand-new parent to three miraculous lives, why in God’s green earth do you think I have time for this picture?!
- It looks sort of like I’m breastfeeding Mason.
- Conner (sitting on his mama’s lap) is wailing a sentiment similar to Matt’s. Or he’s busting out the high note in “Roxanne”
- Courtney (next to me), looks, like, really happy and beautiful and I don’t think you would be able to guess that she just had three babies on the same day not too long before this picture was taken
- Everything/everyone else looks pretty normal and Christmas-y
But, doesn’t this picture represent a lot about the holidays: not everyone is there, some people are sleeping through the whole thing, others perpetually crying, and still more crazy-happy and blissed out?
I love it. And I love my family. LIKE CRAZY. And I can’t wait to be back home tomorrow to give them all a big smooch and a hug. See you soon, family!!