Adam and I have been playing a game lately. While we’re in the kitchen cooking dinner or making snacks I’ll ask him to name is top three favorite kitchen gadgets (Nerds!) Depending on what we’re making at the moment, the list might change a bit, but for the most part we rely on a few cooking tools over and over.
We have a really small kitchen and not much storage space so we’ve asked a lot of our gadgets to do double duty and it’s made for a less cluttered kitchen, which we greatly appreciate. So here are the items we use time and again in our kitchen:
- Aeroccino: I’ve spoken about my love of the Aeroccino before but it’s worth mentioning again because it’s one item I use every single day. It warms milk and transforms it into a think frothy foam for the perfect cappuccino. This would make the perfect holiday gift and I will endorse it a hundred times over.
- Immersion Blender: Not just for soups, y’all! I use this to blend caramelized onions for homemade french onion dip; mix together the sauce for the best butter chicken; and combine soft cheese and roasted pumpkin for pasta. Of course, it also works beautifully for soups, including this one that is wonderful for chilly nights. Mine also comes with tiny food processor and whisk attachments so I can chop, chop, chop and make homemade salad dressings. I might just marry this thing.
- Toaster Oven: Since we don’t have a microwave, this appliance is critical for heating leftovers or roasting small portions of vegetables. It is, hands down, the best way to reheat pizza and we use it for lightly toasting bread before cooking french toast for breakfast.
- SodaStream: Sparking water, fizzy water, water with gas, however you want to call it, we love bubbly water. It’s a nice alternative to the tap water I’ve been drinking all day and somehow it makes dinner feel a little more fancy. The canisters are easy to replace and they last well over six months, at least in our house. I like mine with a squeeze of lemon and/or lime, but you can also mix in flavors to make your own soda and other concoctions. It doesn’t feel very romantic, but this also makes an excellent gift.
- Electric Kettle: Here’s another gadget I use every single day. I use it for making tea (I have about 2-3 cups a day), dissolving boullion cubes for chicken stock, and Adam uses it to make pour over coffee on the weekends. We used to have a very basic kettle, but we upgraded to a goose-neck temperature-controlled one for Adam’s birthday and I have to refrain from saying it’s changed our lives. Because, obviously, it hasn’t, but it is the Cadillac of kettles and we love it. Totally worth leveling up for.
Honorable mention goes to our scale, which we use for weighing coffee beans, dried pasta, rice, and other goods (not drugs), as well as the Le Creuset dutch oven, which I cannot wait to use more often this winter.
What are your favorite kitchen gadgets? Not that I have too much more room in the cupboards, but I’d love to know what’s pulling its weight in your kitchen.